Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Kalu Yala and a Plea for Help

      I was recently accepted for an internship this summer in Panama with a company called Kalu Yala*. In Panama, there is an indigenous group of peoples called the Kuna, and it is from their language that the name of the company is taken. Literally, 'Kalu Yala' means something like 'A Great Land', or 'Sacred Land'. This meaning perfectly reflects the ideals and goals of this program: to build a completely sustainable town in the heart of Panama for the greater good of both the people and the environment. Kalu Yala is bringing together passionate individuals from a full spectrum of backgrounds: biology, business, education, agriculture, and social workers in order to develop a sustainable settlement and to better the lives of the Panamanian people.
      Now comes the exciting part: this summer I have the opportunity to work with the Agriculture program of Kalu Yala in Panama, developing food production systems that will eventually provide sustenance for the people living in the town we are creating. Following the trend of the company, we will employ only sustainable agriculture techniques in growing our food. Now, what does that mean, exactly? Well, the focus of sustainable agriculture is to balance three main things: environmental health, economic profitability, and ecological harmony (humans included). 'Isn't that called organic farming?' Well, not exactly. With organic farming, there is a strict set of rules that must be followed in order to be certified 'organic', it's like a big checklist. But these rules can and are circumvented in order to be able to stick that 'It's Organic!' sticker on the produce and charge twice as much money. Nor does organic farming always concern itself with harmful emissions or ecological effects as long as the product that is produced can be legally called 'organic'. Sustainable agriculture is a mindset, not a list of regulations that must be followed. It's about things like efficiency, conservation, and humane treatment of livestock, and it looks to be sustainable from both an ecological and business mentality. Basically, it's what organic farming should be: a belief within pragmatic bounds, not a marketing ploy. Sustainability is the future: from hybrid cars to alternative fuels to the food that we eat, our world is changing, and it must if we wish to maintain life as we know it. So in the Kalu Yala program, I will be working on projects and doing research, and then physically implementing this knowledge and techniques I learn to get this town off the ground and provide food for citizens of Panama.




      And now, the bad news. This is a truly amazing opportunity for me, working with sustainable agriculture is exactly what I would like to make a career of, I would be able to visit a foreign nation for the first time, and the experience I would gain would be invaluable. But money is tight in my family to say the least, and my parents can't afford to send me. Some friends and I have already started thinking of fundraising ideas and I've been talking to my academic advisor at UF about small support funds, but I simply can't make it without help. I hate to ask for money, but this is a big deal and I believe a whole lot of good will come out of this opportunity for myself and for locals in Panama. All in all, this trip would cost a total of about $4000 for two and a half months, which would cover living expenses, airfare, food, tuition costs, and everything else that is involved. I don't expect to raise all of this, but anything would help. So I will be working hard to get word out and some fundraising projects started, and I certainly won't object to donations. It would mean a lot to me and my family if anyone would be able to assist in this good work I have the privilege to be a part of, whether that be in helping me with fundraisers, participating in them, or donating a small amount to the cause. As I said before, anything would help, and would be greatly appreciated.


Thank you from the bottom of my heart, 
Ryan



"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

                                                                     -Jeremiah 29:11



*http://www.kaluyala.com/community/interface/

2 comments: